Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Holidays everyone!

I've been taking a break from computing for a week or so, and I'm just now back and rarin to go!

Got a hold of a Dell Inspiron laptop 5000e with 64 megs of ram, a 5 gig hard drive and no networking. Ordered some parts to upgrade the ram to 512 megs and a wireless pcmcia card for networking, and every single part did not work. So I'm waiting on an rma for these, and in the meantime decided to see if XP pro would even install on it. It did, and performance is actually ok. I'm going to wipe it however, and install tinyme or vectorlinux lite once I get working parts.

I did install vector linux lite and tinyme on here to see how that would work. VL-lite actually performed quite well. Tinyme however didn't. I can't blame the distro though as the minimum specs are 64 megs for tinyme, and since the video shares 8 megs of this ram, that left only 56 megs of usable ram, so I'm not surprised at the performance being sub-par.

Hopefully you all are having a wonderful holiday season and I'll post back soon.

Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays from Spain!. My favourite distro is Arch Linux, and the articles you have writen about resurrecting ancient desktops helped me a lot, so please, keep up the good work!

muaythaimaster said...

I'm glad the articles helped you! Arch is an awesome distro and it's what I like to use on a day to day basis. Thanks for the compliment.